Hoctavia is one of 31 children, most of whom dropped out of school. Ruth lives in a tiny apartment in one of Kampala’s poorest neighborhoods with her mother and three siblings. Graduating from high school is the only way they can lift themselves and their families out of poverty. Like millions of girls in Africa who will never move beyond primary school, their challenges are not unique. Their journey is.
1. Out of every 100 children in Uganda, how many go to High School? How many of this fraction are girls?
2. How many girls in Uganda will graduate from High School?
3. What motivates Hoctavia most to keep striving for an education?
4. What happened in Ruth’s life to encourage her to become a neurosurgeon?
5. In the film, Ruth comments, “When you educate a girl, it’s almost like educating a whole nation”. What does she mean by this?
6. Why do you think the filmmaker made this film?